Friday, April 5, 2013

Healthy Squash Casserole




Healthy Squash Casserole

This is a casserole I sort of threw together one day. This is truly a spontaneous, whatever you have on hand will work kind of dish. Sometimes I have all of the ingredients below and sometimes I only have a few and just improvise with what I do have. The recipe is very forgiving. Some days I make enough to fill one casserole dish, other days I have enough made to make two casseroles. I don’t measure much but don’t worry it will be delicious.

Ingredients:
½ - 1 whole box of Whole Wheat Pasta  (Penne, Elbow, Fusilli, Gemelli. Use a whole box only if you are making two casserole dishes.)
1-3 lbs sliced up Turkey Sausage and/or the chicken below
1-2 lbs chicken (I usually use the already grilled frozen chicken breasts from the freezer section)
Minced Garlic to taste – I typically put in 1 TBS
2-4 lbs of yellow squash, zucchini, string/green beans and any other kind of squash. (Usually I use a combination of all three. I prefer fresh but sometimes I use frozen if that is what is on hand.)
2-4 cups Cheese – I use low fat Mozzarella, Colby, Monterey or Cheddar (Just about anything works)
½-1 cup Parmesan
Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
Red pepper Flakes – ¼ - ½ Tsp (depends on how Spicy you want it- I like it hot…)
1-3 cans Diced tomatoes – (I like the roasted herb tomatoes but plain diced works too. I only use 3 cans if I am making enough for two casserole dishes)
Italian Seasoning – 1-2 TBS (depending if this is for one or two casserole dishes)
Aluminum Foil (to cover the casserole in the oven)

Prepare your pasta according to the directions, then drain and set aside. Put a little water in a large skillet, just enough to cover the bottom and add the turkey sausage. After it is cooked on both sides add the chicken. A few minutes later throw in the garlic, pepper flakes, garlic powder, Italian Seasoning, Salt and Pepper. While this is cooking slice up your squash, a food processor speeds this up a lot. In a very large bowl combine everything: noodles, meats, veggies, ½ of your cheese and all the remaining ingredients. Put the mixture in one or two casserole dishes. Top with the remaining cheese. Tear off a piece of aluminum foil to cover the casserole dish. Spray one side of the foil with Pam so the cheese won’t stick to the foil.
Cook at 350 for about 45 minutes. It is done when the vegetables are cooked. Enjoy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.