Thursday, September 27, 2012

Eight Lower Calorie Food Options I Can't Live Without

I am always on the lookout for good tasting lower calorie food options to incorporate into my life. So here is a combined list of some of my favorites that I can't live without.



Stevia Extract. This stuff is the BOMB and it is zero calories. I find using a dropper is a better option when adding it to coffee and tea as a sweetener. 

PB2 I have never been a big fan of Peanut Butter but a lot of that had to do with the amount of calories. 2 Tbs of it is only 45 calories and 1 gram of fat, all the protein without all the fat and calories. It is a powder. You use 2 tablespoons of the PB2 powder to 1 TBS of water and you have legit peanut butter. They have two flavors: regular and Chocolate Peanut Butter.  Let's just say the Chocolate is my favorite. Unfortunately, only one store in my town sells it so I buy in bulk. I can't live without it! You can order it here at www.bellplantation.com
(1-17-2013)  I have two small updates regarding PB2. First, this stuff is AMAZING sprinkled over homemade vanilla flavored Ice Cream. Secondly, my newest favorite breakfast / snack food is one slice of double fiber bread with 2 TBS of PB2 smeared on it. It is the perfect fold over sandwich. Another option is to add sliced banana!  

Truvia Baking Blend is great for basic baking and much lower calorie. However, you should  experiment with this before making a baking masterpiece for guests. I have found my homemade fruit cobblers will not rise as much using this but they still taste amazing. 


This is my hands down favorite fat free salad dressing. Only 35 calories for 2 Tbs and it is yummy! Actually, I like nearly all of their dressings. Maple Grove Farms www.maplegrove.com

Chocolite Protein Bars. I need a high protein diet and am forever frustrated over the high amount of fat, calories and sugar in the typical store bought protein / breakfast bars.  They are only 95 calories, 9 grams of protein here and they taste good (especially with coffee). There are several flavors. One head's up, they are very crumbly so watch out if you are wearing something you don't want possible chocolate smears on. Again, only one store in my town carries these. :( However, you can order them online and look at their other products http://www.healthsmartfoods.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20


Oroweat Healthful Flax & Fiber bread. This is my favorite health bread. It has 4 grams of fiber, only 80 calories and other healthy ingredients. For me the most important item is the 5 grams of protein per slice and that it is delicious. The bread tastes so good to me that I toast it and don't put anything on top. One slice of bread here is practically a meal for me. 
http://www.oroweat.com/sub-category/health-full® If you can't locate this, any double fiber bread is a good healthy carb/bread option.


Gnu Bars. There are 9 delicious flavors. I find they are so filling that I can often only eat half of a bar. For one bar 140 calories, 3 grams protein and 4 grams of fat but here is the kicker - 12g Fiber.

Teavana is one of my latest addictions (They have a tea for everything!). Okay, so it isn't technically a "lower calorie food" but it keeps me going. The Mate teas give you energy, cut appetite and promote weight loss. When I'm getting too tired and still have more to do I'll make a Mate tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.